Sunday, April 18, 2010

Last post of this term:)

Well, this is the last post of this term. I may continue writing more in the future, but I may not keep posting weekly. So I will post when I have something new to say.

As the last post, I want to give a summary of my progress this Spring:

1:I continued with my job in IBM. As my profile indicated, after I came back to Vancouver, I was still working for IBM, as a part-time worker, and am still doing the job right now. As I have been working for IBM over one year, I really learned a lot from the big blue. IBM is the first company i have been working for in my life and will always be my first tutor for my career. In Toronto Lab, I have met many extremely smart students who showed their outstanding creativity and efficiency, I am lucky to meet my roommate who is a DB2 developer and my Montreal friend who is a computing geek:) Both of them influenced my life significantly. Also, my IBM's friends like my coach and another employee are crucial as my career and life guidance. I like them.

2:I started considering investment seriously. Before this year I had the idea that investment is necessary, but I didn't have a clear plan for it. Now I have started my investment plan from all aspects which should bring a considerable benefit in the future.

3:I am holding remote discussion with my friend frequently. The topic may cover from our projects to any hot technologies currently. I find this kind of discussion helps us expand our knowledge greatly. Most of the time different people may pay attention to different aspects of the trend, and if all of these ideas and thoughts can be merged, then the outcome will be a much larger set of knowledge:) One person can spend 10 years learning very well in certain fields, but the union of 100 people's knowledge may have already covered all the aspects of those fields.

4:I got the job in Microsoft windows team:) Best thing this year!

Last but not least, the cmpt 376 is really a good course. It is not trying to teach us new technology, every one can learn new technology either from a book or from some web sites. The meaning of this course for me is that it gives a programmer to stop and clarify his thoughts. It is easy to write a piece of code, but it is harder to write an essay to elaborate the essential of that code. As most of the time some programmers just know this is the way to do it, but they don't think about the story behind it. When we write an essay for others to read, we are doing more than coding. In fact, we are investigating the hidden art of computing science at that moment:)
Above all, nice course! And nice processor:)

Biao

No comments:

Post a Comment